For many South Africans, a braai is not a braai without this delicious barbequed cheese sandwich. Called cheese toasties or braaibroodjies they are the perfect starter to have while the meat cooks
½ large onion, sliced into 5mm width slices
½ large tomato, sliced into 5mm width slices
200g mature cheddar cheese, grated
8 slices of white bread
1. Butter the slices of white bread on one side only.
2. Turn them over, butter side down to add the filling to the unbuttered side.
3. Add, cheese onion and tomato and some black pepper.
4. Cover with another slice of bread so unbuttered side is on the inside.
5. Place on medium hot coals for about 5 minutes each side and turn over.
6. Once slightly blackened, darkly toasted, remove and serve immediately.