Quick, easy and tastes amazing, Bron makes these as a weekend treat. Originally based on Gordon Ramsey’s Smokey Pork Sliders, Bron has adapted the recipe to use beef mince, veal bacon and makes these as full size burgers. Skip the bread and use iceberg lettuce for a healthier low carb meal
For the burgers:
800g low fat beef mince (allow 200g per person)
250g veal bacon
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
For the Barbeque Onion Relish
1 large onion, sliced
¼ cup of tomato sauce (Ketchup)
3 tablespoons brown sauce (HP)
4 sesame bread rolls or 4 large iceburg lettuce leaves (low carb version)
4 large slices of tomatoes
4 slices Red Hot Dutch cheese
1. Fry the bacon in a heavy based frying pan on a high heat for 3 minutes until just cooked and still soft.
2. Chop into small pieces, about ½ cm squares and mix with the raw mince, add the chilli, herbs and seasoning, continue to blend until the mixture is well bound.
3. Roll into 8 balls then squash each into a flat burger patty about 2 cm thick.
4. Fry the burger on a high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. In a separate pan, fry onion in a little oil until soft.
6. Add the tomato and brown sauces, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously until it thickens.
7. Transfer to a small bowl and leave to cool.
1. Split and butter the rolls.
2. Toast them face down in a hot frying pan until crisp and browned.
3. Layer the tomatoes, pickled sliced gherkins on the bottom half of the roll and position a burger on top. Place a slice of the cheese on the burger, then the second burger on top of that. Top with the sesame half of the roll and hold together using a tooth pick, if required.
4. For the low carb alternative, place the garnish and burger in the same way but inside a large lettuce leaf.