This recipe is an adaptation of a Sweet Potato and Chilli Soup recipe I used to make several years ago. You can still switch the squash with sweet potato if you prefer, you may need to cook it for a little longer than the squash
1 large butternut squash, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob butter
1 large sweet red pepper (capsicum), chopped
2 cubes chicken Oxo stock cubes
2 pints of boiling water
200g organic full fat natural yoghurt
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
3 birds eye chillis, chopped
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a 5 litre pan and add the onion and garlic until soft but not brown.
2. Add the peppers and squash and cook for a further 5-10 mins.
3. Crumble in the stock cubes and add the boiling water, thyme and chilli and simmer for 30 mins
4. Add the yoghurt and bring back to boil
5. Using a hand blender, blend the soup to a smooth consistency and add the salt and pepper.
6. Taste, adjust seasoning and add more water, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.
7. Serve with extra yoghurt on the side.
Slow Cooker Method
1. Put the squash and sweet pepper, stock and half the water in the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours.
2. Add the garlic, onion, thyme and chilli and cook for a further 1 hour.
3. Add the yoghurt and return to high for 10 mins.
4. There will be more water produced compared to the hob method. Blend to a smooth consistency, add more water to achieve desired consistency and add the salt and pepper.
5. Serve with extra yoghurt on the side.