A mielie is a corn on the cob. This recipe takes the plain vegetable to new tasty heights with garlic and chilli. Any hot pepper sauce can be used, my favourite is Hot Peri Peri Sauce, manufactured by Nandos. These can also be prepared the day before and marinated overnight
4 ears of corn
For the marinade mix:
80ml of butter, melted
3 cloves of garlic, minced
40ml hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
1. Remove the leaves and husk from the cob and wash
2. Place in a deep saucepan, add a pinch of salt and cover with water.
3. Boil for 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl.
5. Once the mielies have cook, rub with marinade and wrap in foil, individually.
6. Cook on hot coals for 10 minutes, turning every 2 minutes. Can be kept warm by putting to the side of the hot grill while other items are being braaied.